Kaunas County Public Library (KCPL) was founded in 1950. From January 1st, 2007, to July 1st, 2010 the benefactor was Kaunas County Governor's Administration. Currently the benefactor is Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania.
List of KCPL directors:
KCPL is the biggest national universal library in Lithuania’s Midlands which is open for both Lithuanians and foreigners. Moreover, it also is the centre of methodology, bibliography and information of the public libraries in Kaunas and Marijampolė vicinity municipalities. KCPL co-ordinates activities of the libraries, organizes events and implements mutual projects.
Currently KCPL owns 18 structural departments. In addition, there are 202 employees working at KCPL and 144 of them are professional librarians. Since 1963 KCPL was granted the right to receive the mandatory copy of Lithuanian publications which since 2007 is known as National Archival Fund of Published Documents. Moreover, in collaboration with Vilnius University Library, The Wroblewski Library of the Academy of Sciences and Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania KCPL also prepares national retrospective bibliography.
There are about 20 thousand registered Library users served per year and more than 700 readers served daily. The Library offers various services such as trainings, computer workstations with free access to the Internet, organizes events and exhibitions. However, the most popular service still proves to be borrowing publications out on loan: 84% of all Library readers use this service.
KCPL owns a document fund of over 2 million publications of various topics in Lithuanian and in major world languages. The topics are: